Sunday, January 30, 2011

Snap Crackle & Pop . . . in the Crockpot!

Can we say easy peezy lemon squeezy?

Because that's my new motto.  My new crockpot is amazing.  It can do everything!  Bread, chili (in theory), chicken, pancakes and now rice krispies treats!  Unbelievable.  I'm starting to think it has a mind of its own that helps it accomplish everything and more.  I mean, it definitely has will power and a positive "can do" attitude.  Come to think of it, this crockpot is an inspiration.  It could be an international figurehead of success.  The epitome of The American Dream.  A "nation builder"!  Something that all of man- and woman-kind could look up to!

Okay, well, maybe not, I mean, maybe I'm getting a little carried away.  But my point remains the same: my crockpot is a freaking miracle worker and I can't get enough of it.  Which brings us to my next point -- I made rice krispies treats in my crockpot!  And they were good!  And because I hope you can enjoy them too, here's the recipe!


Rice Krispies Treats in the Crockpot (courtesy of crockpot365.blogspot.com)

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons of butter (do not use the fake stuff, it will affect the taste of your treats)
6 cups of Rice Krispies (the cereal)
1 bag of fresh marshmallows (about 40 big ones)

1.  Put butter in a pre-heated (on HIGH) crockpot.  I melted the butter in the microwave first and then put it in the pot.

2.  Put the entire bag of marshmallows on top of the melted butter in the pot.

3.  Put the Rice Krispies cereal on top of the marshmallows.


 4.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.  Give it an extra 20-30 minutes if you need it.  Mine cooked for about 1 hour and 15 minutes and it was perfect.

5.  By this point, the marshmallows will have melted.  You will be able to tell this by lifting the lid off of the pot.  Take the pot off the heat and, using a big spoon, mix everything in the pot together.

6.  Transfer the mixed-together marshmallow-cereal mix to a prepared 9"x11" pan or pyrex.  I think "prepared" means lightly greased, so that's what I did.  You can use Reynolds Wrap or wax paper to press the mixture down into the pan.  I used a wooden spoon and it worked just fine.  (I also used a 9"x9" pan because I made slightly less than a full batch.)  I noticed that my marshmallow mixture was a light brown/tan color and not white.  I think that's from the cooking of the marshmallows with the butter.  Although I can't be sure (I'm not really a scientist or much of a cook/baker).  But the color of the treats did not affect their taste, which is the important thing in my mind, so bon appetit!

7.  Let it cool completely before cutting it into squares.

Ta-da!  That's it.  Super easy, right?  And sans mess!  I mean, usually you have to cook the marshmallows on the stove in a pot, and there's sticky gooeyness as it's cooking, and it's a mess, and with the crockpot, you literally drop everything in the pot and wait till it's done.  The only part that sucked was cleaning the crockpot afterwards.  I had to use a metal spoon to get the overcooked marshmallow pieces unstuck from the bottom of the pot . . . yuck.  But I'll admit that it was worth the hassle.  Simply simple and simply tasty.  Mmmm . . . enjoy!

BTW - Duke lost today.  Big time.  Not that that means anything for my rice krispies treats recipe, but still . . . it's great news worth sharing! :)

1 comment: